Saturday 11 May 2013

Travel for Work

I remember before I started working full time in the corporate world, I craved a job that provided the opportunity for lots of travel!  I thought it was sexy.  The images in my head looked a bit like this.


After twelve years of working with more business travel than I care to remember, I can confirm that there is nothing sexy about twelve+ hour days in back to back meetings, followed by lonely nights in a hotel room generally working through the night, no private jets, no views of the ocean and very little down time to explore a new City.   Reality is, it looks more like this.



I spent this last week interstate for work and am very much appreciating being back at home and in my usual habitat this weekend.   I get three nights back at home before I have to do it all over again.  Which gets me thinking, how do you survive travelling for work? 

Here are my top 5 quasi-survival tips:

1. Find good coffee.

2. Call home!  Regardless of how busy you are, take a few minutes to call home (ET managed to do it).

3. If you have friends in the City - arrange a catch up (even if it is late into the night after days of meetings, a friendly face is therapeutic).

4. Good concealer (to hide the panda eyes after all those late nights working). I am currently loving Napolean Perdis' Mighty Concealer Pen.

5. Eat right.  Finding a great place to eat good food (with good company if possible) after a long day of meetings goes a long way.  My favourite in Melbourne (where I spent the last week for work) is Hanabishi.


Takashimizu (cold) Sake - Delicious


Wagyu meat ball, edamame, good (bashful) company and wasabe!
Sashimi & Sushi Love

More Sashimi - Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment