Tuesday 26 March 2013

Happily Ever After?










I remember reading fairy tales as a child.  I must say, that other than the fascination I had with the evil stepmother/villain and the dresses and shoes that the Princess was decked out in, I wasn't really sold on the whole "happily every after" piece or the recurring theme of the Prince miraculously "saving" the Princess from all her woes.  I remained unconvinced by it all and in my late teens I bought myself a book of fairy tales with a twist.   When I recently came across the work of Dina Goldstein and her Fallen Princesses,  the photos resonated with the realist in me and I felt a sense of vindication (followed by mild sadness) that these Princesses got a dose of reality.  Is that dark?   Either way, Goldstein's photos give a view of what may happen (even to the prettiest Princess) the day after "happily ever after".   The pictures deal with reality and modern issues including cancer, addiction, obesity, vanity etc...    As it turns out, I was onto something, there is no such thing as fairy tales.  
The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment